Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Home Should be Where God Is

They say that home is where the heart is
I say that home should be where God is
Since that is the muscle that pumps the hardest
-Talaam Acey

Going home is always a wonderful experience. I wonder how this experience works out for military brats. Like, what area do they feel most connected to and for what reason? Personally, I was born/raised in Virginia Beach until I was 13. Then, I moved to Charlotte, NC... spent 5 consistent years there, and now I "visit" (at least, they feel like visits) between my breaks from school in Philadelphia, PA.

I'm saying all this to say that I spent Easter Weekend in Virginia, at HOME. In most cases, when I'm referencing home I'm referring to North Carolina, but Virginia is really the root of it all. I hadn't been since November, and I found such comfort in the smallest things. It's like, there are certain things that are just understood as a part of home. For some people, it's having to pull the bathroom door hard for it to close or knowing that the light in your hallway goes our randomly.

For me, home means I expect my brothers room to be a mess, I also expect the living room to be a mess because my brother thinks it's his room, I don't think twice about the small hole in the wall at the top of the steps, there will always be my favorite snacks (that my home in NC doesn't have) in the pantry, a bunch of guys will always be in my living room (compliments of my brother), and playing Scrabble is a must.

For example, as soon as I got off the plane in Virginia I had pulled out a copy of certain letters in the Scrabble dictionary that my gram had sent to me. Her sister (my great aunt) was also going to be there for the weekend and one of the things on my Bucket List is to beat her (the undefeated champ) in Scrabble. I must do this before I die. This is me trying to study various list of words all at once:

Clearly, this wasn't helpful.

Here's my crappy selection of letters. Blah.

Needless to say (or maybe it's not needless to say because you have faith in me, but whatever the case) I never beat her. I haven't played that game in ages so I was a tad rusty, but I'd openly challenge anyone else in the game... just not her. I was beating her for like.. ugh.. a whole 4minutes, and she even told me "Great job" twice. Yes, these were clearly the highlights of my weekend, but in the end- she's still the reigning champ, and I'm still the ::gasp:: loser. Hey, such is life.

The point of this all though, is no matter what I identify as home, it brings me the most awkward comfort. Lately I have been so overwhelmed by random things and apathetic about them all at the same time. Like, things are bothering me but they aren't bothering me enough to where I'm compelled to do something about them. Does that mean that I'm not really bothered at all? Whatever it means, I had been feeling a vacation was much needed. Home was just the cure. It was such a relief, and my grandma is such a delightful blessing to be around. I couldn't even begin to explain it.

I know this isn't much, but I just thought I'd share. Really, I just wanted to open the door for Scrabble challenges, because I definitely need the practice. Yup, I think that was the point of this. Hmph.

Lay Down,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment