Thursday, January 22, 2009

Told You So, Classes are Back

I said I'd do a post today, didn't I?

Well. Here I am. Let me start by saying that Christmas break is over, classes are back in session, and so far-I think I like my classes as much as I like my schedule. I don't have classes on Wednesdays or Fridays, and on Monday I only have one class around 1pm. Not to mention, I picked up a second job-so maybe my income will remain at a stable pace... if my grades can do the same.

Anywho, I was in my Mosaics class (for those who don't go to TU, it's a mandatory course designed to increase peoples knowledge and appreciation of literature written in different era's/locations) proceeding- so, my teacher takes out a picture of himself, gives a student a pocket knife, and allows the student to stab the picture.

In short, I was unsettled. Just so you can understand the relevance of it all, we were discussing how Native Americans used to draw pictures of the buffalo, and it was their belief that these drawings captured the spirits of the buffalo and made the act of hunting them easier. When asked what we thought of this, I mentioned a quote I know that says something about how writing down your goal is the first step towards conquering it.

I, being all about positive energy and positive thinking, elaborated by noting that believing in the power of whatever ritual you're performing in hopes of conquering something is half the battle. Performing something a certain number of times may not affect the outcome of something else, but if I believe in it's ability to do so, then it may affect my actions towards whatever that "something else" is anyway.

Am I making any sense at all? This conversation would go better face to face. '

Whatever the case, if you can't already see where I'm going with this- my thoughts on writing something down in hopes of completing the act were tested by the teacher allowing a student to stab his picture.

Clearly, the teacher isn't going to get stabbed in the face or come to school with some random nose injury (which is where the knife landed), unless he just has horrible karma. But I was still so unnerved by the act. It's weird. Really, I've said all this to say that it's crazy how much power we give to symbolism. Like, things can be used to symbolize something else, and regardless if the symbolism is dead on-it's still just as effective or meaningful.

I hope this didn't seem like a random rambling. Is rambling a word? Hey, it's my blog. I can do what I want. I'll be back shortly, have to catch the shuttle back to campus. Then I'm back on. Have some poetry for you. Go me! hehe

Really Though,
B

2 comments:

  1. I get cha...at first it took a min. lol But in a sense, I get wut ur trying to say. I see us as being a bit one in the same....we're deep people, but sometimes (like my aunt told me) don't get too deep that you drown. ;-)

    ♥ ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. The words Amen, Ashe, and SO IT IS reflect Hebrews 11:1 Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the Evidence not seen. Substance, the Essence, the evidence, the physical stuff.

    The ritual is important when the Hebrews head priest used to go into the most holy place, he had a rope around him, he carried (symbolically) the sins of the people. He entered where Gods (IAM) presence was residing but if he crossed a certain boundry he died.

    The people knew the ritual and they knew not to cross the boundry even they the ritual may have been only symbolic for them.

    Jaycee

    ReplyDelete