Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 Hold Up, I Live Here

I don't even know where to begin this post. Starting with the basics, I didn't realize what today's date was until I looked at the chart in class telling us what we'd do today and saw that reflecting on 9/11 was one of the topics.

Can I be honest? When The Twin Towers collapsed I was in 7th grade, and I had never heard of them prior to their destruction.With that being said, it wasn't until seeing a poem performed by Suheir Hammad that I realized the real significance of the event (no worries, the poems posted below). The irony in this is that she's Palestinian, and her perspective on the issue was different compared to what most of the "part-time patriotic" Americans were experiencing.

Nonetheless, her poetic interpretation helped me realized in what way we were all affected by it. My feelings haven't varied too much since I wrote the post "9/11 It Was Needed", but it's weird to think that now I'm the one living through moments that will be in text books some years from now... my grand kids will consider times like these- "the old days". Random thought, if/when Obama wins the election- I hope they (the future generation) are still able to appreciate and realize the significance in having a black president.

Anywho, here are the poems. Hope this day wasn't too hard on you. I realize that some of my readers are friends from school, and are possibly from New York- I'm sure this day means something to you that I could never fully comprehend. Keep on keeping on, we're making it.



Pushing,
B

Random: The books currently being read/just finished are not up to date... if you haven't noticed (I've just been too lazy to fix it), and I've lost the actual book I'm reading. Not to mention, there's a lot of required reading for class, so I'm not doing any leisurely reading right now. Pray for me.

2nd Random (or should I say, P.P.S.): I FINALLY found a church in Philly. YEEAAHH ME! Only took about a year and some change, but whose counting?

No comments:

Post a Comment