Monday, February 25, 2008

Pussy Appreciation!

I spent my Friday night in the underground of the SAC (on Temple campus, for unaware readers). What was I doing there? Watching the Vagina Monologues. I had heard of the show before, and I didn't have any preconceived notions about it. So, I was in for a pleasant surprise. Seriously though. Upon telling my roommate where I went, she had already decided it was something disgusting and she would not be interested, just from the use of the term 'vagina'. I guess throwing the word 'pussy' into the title of this blog would have led to her skipping this one (as if she reads this at all).

Anywho, for the more open minded audience who will continue reading: it was an experience to say the least. And of course, I took "notes" to share with you. Just some random things, thoughts, or quotes they said- no topic was too large or small to be hit on... from sexual pleasure to former sex slaves awaiting an apology from the government:

-About 2,000 women in the U.S. are raped annually
-There are 8,000 nerves in the clitoris. That's more nerves grouped in one area than in any other part of the male or female body, and two times more than what's in the penis. "Who needs a screw driver when you've got a power drill?"
-"Don't believe him when he tells you it smells like rose petals when it's supposed to smell like pussy. I don't want my pussy smelling like rain, like a fish after you clean it. I want it to taste like the fish, that's why I ordered it!"
-In the states of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, Virginia, and Indiana it is illegal to sell vibrators. You can be given a $5,000 fine and 3yrs. of hard labor if caught with intent to sell. Yet, guns are permitted in all these states. "We're yet to hear of a mass murder committed with a vibrator."
-"My short skirt has nothing to do with you. It's not showing off. This is who I am: before you made me cover it up, tone it down. Get used to it... but mainly- my short skirt and everything under it, is mine.
-When a 6yr. old was questioned on her vaginal knowledge and what was special about hers was, she replied, "Somewhere deep inside, it has a really smart brain."
-In regards to [women's sexual abilities and] male opinion: "Jealous of her power and embarrassed by their awe, they label her a whore."
-"My vagina, my home town" (for a reason unbeknownst to me, I liked this quote)
-Military/Japanese comfort women: women who were abducted from their homes in midst of WW2 and exploited as sex slaves. Women were (obviously) raped, sometimes given 50 sex partners a day, received STD's, were beaten, had miscarriages, etc. What they want in return, before they die (some of them are still living): an apology from the government.
-The different types of moans there are. I won't give details on this one. It sounds better if you hear it, and some things you just have to see for yourself.

Whatever the case, you can see that a lot of topics were touched. Don't be so quick to let one word throw you off. Expand your horizons. Yes, words have powers. I am a firm advocate and believer of that. Nonetheless, the term describing a body part on half of the worlds' population and necessary for pro-creation shouldn't send you running in the other direction. Grow some balls. All puns intended. As a result of seeing this, I am a self-proclaimed:
Vagina Warrior

Feminine & Proud,
B

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I was filled with laughter; I was awestruck; I was nodding my head in agreement. Vagina Monologues is one of the most interesting collaborations ever to grace the planet. It came to my school two weeks ago, and I missed it. But I know I'll go next time I can.

    I don't think it takes you outta your comfort zone, but it builds upon the one we already have. I think knowledge like this is a necessity to a better and more thorough perception of women (and men's relationship to women).

    Good lookin' out, girl. I can always count on you to bring the realness to the table.

    ReplyDelete