Sunday, June 29, 2008

Thy Will- Will be Done

What I learned today in Sunday school was really moving to me. I was going to attempt to break the lesson down, but I decided to just post the actual Bible verses in the most logical order. They're pretty straight forward, so it shouldn't be to hard to comprehend- just something to consider. I'm going to throw out a basic definition for a few words you'll read that either I or another person had to ask the pastor to define before we could really get the scripture:

.covetous- desiring wealth or possesions/greed
.idolaters- one who worships idols
.reviler- one who uses abusive language
.extortioner- one who takes things illegaly, with force, or by intimidation

Hebrews 13: 1-2
Let brotherly love continue. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.

1 Corinthians 5: 10-11
Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral or covetous, or an idolator, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner- not even to eat with such a person.

Ephesians 5: 3-5
But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as if fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. For this unclean person , nor covetous man, who is an idolator, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Psalm 118:9
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to put confidence in mortals.

Alright, I actually feel the need to elaborate in which way these passages spoke to me. Starting with Hebrews, I felt like this scripture was my big serving of humble pie. Just yesterday I'm talking about not being impressed by my former peers, and today I am being told to entertain strangers and continue showing "brotherly love"... can't shake Philly for nothing :)

The last 3 scriptures sent me messages that were complimentary to each other. All in all, I felt like they were telling me to maintain good company, stop depending on man because I will continuously be disappointed, put my trust in the Lord, and carry myself in such a way that would make me worthy of the kingdom of heaven.

Not Perfect-Just Forgiven,
B

*something else to think about,
just a musical delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment