Friday, January 4, 2008

My God


I remember reading somewhere that trying to be a better person puts you one step ahead of the rest. The rest? Those who aren't trying to better themselves. That really is not the point of this blog but I just wanted to be sure the statement was understood. Simply attempting to do better, makes you a better person. Too easy.

Anywho, the year is over (clearly, since its 2008) and I just wanted to verbalize all that has gone well. Honestly, nothing this year has been overly amazing. As a matter of fact, this was possibly the toughest year I have ever experienced. The beginning of the year found me depressed and unsure about myself as well as those in my surroundings. The end of the year found me unsure of those in my surroundings (still), but my attitude has changed.

"Something on the inside, working on the outside, oh what a joy in my life."

God has blessed me with a peace of mind. Upon entering my first semester of college, there were a lot of things I planned on doing alone. One of those things was consistently attending a church, and possibly adopting a church home. Well, first semester is over and I haven't stepped a foot into any church in Philadelphia (I've been to 1 in NY and blogged about it... some experience that turned out to be). I would normally have a problem with this and be disappointed in myself, but over the course of this semester-I've also developed the strongest relationship with God I've ever had. I find myself constantly praying (randomly, I might add) and giving thanks. I'm fully aware of the changes I want to make and am trying to make in my life. However, I'm not going to beat myself up about them anymore. Easier said than done. Nonetheless, I am at peace with where I'm at in life.

Granted, there is always room for improvement, and I am not settling with my current position in this world: I am quite alright with myself as a person. I can't explain the feeling, but it's heaven sent. No pun intended. I've also heard the saying, "don't get on your phone to call a friend before getting on your knees and calling God." It holds so much truth. All you have to do is believe. God works wonders. One day at a time. Even when you don't acknowledge His presence or His works, He is there. I don't always understand what He has planned for me, and why He puts certain situations/people before me. But I do understand that He has a plan, and He knows what He's doing-even when I don't. I trust that. I find comfort in it. I encourage you to do the same.

"I'm not trying to act like I'm a perfect man but if you speak about it, you should be about it, not just preach about it all day. Cuz' if you don't, you run the risk of chasing some of the most beautiful people away. And it is never my intention to discourage you, rather encourage you-to change your life today." -Lyfe Jennings

Contentment is Key,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment