Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Not Quite Thanksgiving

My mom died when I was 9 years old (welcoming introduction right?). Seriously though. She's been on my mind A LOT for the past 3 days. I'm 18 now, and that may not seem like much to most people but as Jay-Z said, "you put on two tube socks, you couldn't walk in my shoes." I've done so much, just to find myself receiving my college education in her hometown. I can't help but think what she thinks of my accomplishments/failures thus far.

"Now that you're gone, it hit us...
super hard on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
This can't be right.
Yeah, you heard the track I did man,
This can't be life.
Somebody please say grace,
so I can save face and have a reason to cover my face."
-Kanye West, Family Business




I find myself thinking of her at times when it seems like everyone should acknowledge her absence, yet I'm the only person noticing the 'missing link'. Whatever the case, her absence is a daily reminder of those here on Earth that I'm thankful for, as well as the experiences that come with knowing those people. With that being said: Lord, I thank you for-

1. My grandmothers, both for very different reasons.
2. My siblings. God giveth and God taketh away. My mother may not be here in the flesh, but I have 4 brothers/4 sisters and no lack of love as a result.
3.My best friends (in NC & VA). They have taught me the true meaning of communication, loyalty, patience, compassion, comradery, and the list goes on.
4. My god children. The responsibilities as well as the joy that comes with claiming them can not be measured.
5. Every person I've fallen in love with and truly given my heart to. No matter the outcome, love is love and at the end of the day-a valuable lesson is always learned.
6. Imani Marie Scott. Lord, you know her better than I do. You know the magnitude of her significance in my life. All I can say is 'HALLELUJAH ANYHOW!'
7. My relationship with you (Lord). It has kept me through hard times, long before I even chose to acknowledge it.
8. My personality/character- being who I am and how I am has worked against me at times, but it's consistent and true: which is more than I can say for most things now-a-days.

This list could go on for days... I just wanted to pause for a quick second and show my appreciation (granted-this is only a small symbol of how thankful I am). God is truly good.

Contentment is Key,
B

1 comment:

  1. "yet I'm the only person noticing the 'missing link'. Whatever the case, her absence is a daily reminder of those here on Earth that I'm thankful for, as well as the experiences that come with knowing those people."

    soo agreeed!

    ReplyDelete