Sunday, July 20, 2008

For Colored Girls Who Considered Suicide

... When the Rainbow is Enuf:
Let me put a disclaimer out there by stating that no matter how well I do at attempting to summarize this play, you will not understand the full capacity of it's greatness unless you actually see the play or read the book.

Without further adieu: (drum roll, please)
For Colored Girls Who Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf

I don't even know where to begin. Ughh... following up beside 'Change of Events', I ended up taking myself out on a date the night following the night I was actually supposed to. A friend from church ended up being there. I felt like God was telling me that I'm never alone (technically), because He's always with me. Anywho, this play was wonderful- to say the absolute least.

I would say that the title is somewhat self-explanatory, but at the same time, I do realize that the title can just seem wordy and confusing. The play was a poetic interpretation of the actual book, and it just demonstrated various situations where colored women have been through things leading to the contemplation of suicide. Examples? Skits about rape, abortion, changing locations, bad relationships, etc.

As usual, I wrote down quotes from the play that spoke to me. Some may lose their effect because they're taken out of the proper setting, but trust me when I say- they hit home. There were too many moments when a bunch of people amongst the crowd said "mmph". You know how that goes. The most moving skit (for me) was one where a woman was with a man for 8 years, he was abusive, she left him, and he ended up throwing their 2 children out the 2nd story window. The quotes?

-I couldn't stand being colored and sorry at the same time. It's so redundant.
-Here's what I have... my poems, big thighs, and little tits. (Amen!)
-You hurt me more than I can dance myself out of, and into an oblivion isn't far enough to get out of this.
-Being alive, being woman, and being colored is a metaphysical dilemma I haven't conquered yet.
-My love is too delicate to have it thrown back in my face.
-You can't have me unless I give myself away. Stealing my shit from me don't make it yours. It makes it stolen... a love I made too much time for, it almost ran off with my stuff, and I didn't think I'd give it away so quick... and the one running with it don't know he got it.
-Didn't nobody stop using my tears to wash cars because of "sorry"... I won't be sorry for none of it, because I loved you on purpose... I'm not even sorry about you being sorry. Carry all of them around that you'd like, cause I can't use em'... instead of being sorry all the time, enjoy being yourself.
-This is for colored girls who considered suicide but moved to the end of their own rainbows.

And last but not least:

I found God in myself
And I loved her fiercely,
B

p.s. For those interested in reading the book, this is what the cover looks like:

1 comment: