Thursday, July 3, 2008

Miss Me?

I clearly didn't get back with you guys last night. My apologies. I got home 2 and a half hours later then I was supposed to. My best friend since 3rd grade was leaving to go to the Carribean the next day so when I pulled up to my house, I got out the car and walked straight to her house.

Can I tell ya'll how happy I am to be home.. like home, home. Virginia Beach welcomes me like you wouldn't believe. My miniature sized bed felt like heaven. The non-matching living room (red couches, a blue rocking chair, a white rocking chair, navy blue carpeting, baby blue walls, and a wooden table) is just as ridiculously uncoordinated and equally comfortable as it's always been, and my big brother's still a nag. ::Exhales:: Some things never change.

Anywho, I'm leaving the beach at this moment and happy as ever. It's funny how you could care less about the water when you're raised by it, but when you get somewhere and it's not easily accessible- you wish you were near it. Isn't life cruel?

Alright, alright... the topic of discussion: The Color of Water. I'm really not doing the blog any justice by blogging about it this late. However, I can say that as soon as I finished reading it, I was inspired to start writing. The book can seem somewhat choppy, versus being a continuous story because the chapters alternate between the authors' perspective and his mothers' perspective. The mother basically explains her conversion from Judaism to Christianity, and the author basically explains the path to finding himself as he learned his mothers history.

The irony in this being the book I was reading was... the author had 12 siblings (which is comparable to my 8 siblings), he was learning of his history or another culture that was present in his family and having it contribute to his growth (much like I am learning more about the Muslim religion), and some of this took place in Philadelphia (as usual, I just can't shake Temple University and The City of Brotherly Love).

I had been saying that I wanted to write a book before I graduated. The completion of The Color of Water had me feeling like now was good a time as any to start writing. So, what's my book about? Well, I don't know just yet. As of now, I'm just deciding to let my hands be my guide and see what fills up the pages. Seriously. Furthermore, I couldn't figure out why, but I had the urge to email the author. After much internet dismay, I found an email address. Don't ask me why, but after taking all that time to find the address, I had opted not to email him because I didn't know what I intended to say exactly.

However, good ol' God stepped up to plate and reminded me whose boss by putting into play a phone conversation. Later that night, I spoke with a friend from the community service trip to New Orleans I had taken over spring break. We had one of the most intriguing conversations I have had in a long time, and he fully encouraged me to email the author. He event went on to tell me how he ended up speaking on the phone with a man he was researching for one of his summer classes. He found the number on a whim (on one of the websites of the man he was researching), called, left a message, the man called back within 5 minutes, and they were on the phone for over an hour discussing a broad range of topics.

Inspiring much? A few days after I finished reading The Color of Water, I received an email from my favorite journ. teacher at Temple. He emailed me about this internship being offered by PhillySTYLE Magazine. (Another) Long story turned short, I'll be attending an open house interview in Philadelphia on Tuesday. When I started to print out the writing samples I would take to the interview, I was surprised at the amount I had. Crazy right? Sometime during my preparation for the interview, it hit me that this is really my life. I really am attempting to do what I'm passionate about full-time. Write? Right.

Lastly, as you can see, I've began reading a new book. The title is Playing With Boys, but it's not as relevant as you may think. The main characters are 3 women at different walks of life who seem to unknowingly need each other in order to bring out the best in themselves. Don't ge tme wrong though, men- or should I say boys- are definitely prevalent roles in each one of their lives. I'm a bit tired, so I'm going to cut this short. I just had to get this post out cause I had been nagging myself about it for 2 days.

Mwuah!
B

No comments:

Post a Comment